Bangalore: Sourav Ganguly has announced his retirement from the game, the former India captain said on Tuesday.

Ganguly said he would be retiring from the game at the end of the India-Australia Test series, which begins in Bangalore on Thursday.

After being controversially included for the four-Test series, Ganguly revealed that even he was surprised at his inclusion, but added that the stress forced him to take a decision on his career.

"I have decided to quit. This will be my last Test series," Ganguly told reporters in Bangalore on Tuesday.

"I have informed my team of my decision. I hope I'll end my career with a winning knock," added the 36-year-old.

Ganguly, who has played 109 Test matches in a career spanning over 12 years, made a stunning entry to Test cricket with a century on debut at Lord's in 1996. He followed it up with another century at Trent Bridge in the next Test match.

However, India's most successful Test captain fell out of favour with the BCCI's recent policy of blooding young talent to build for the future.

"To be honest I didn't expect to be picked for this series. But then I didn't expect to be dropped for the Irani Trophy," Ganguly said.

"It has been unfortunate that there is focus on me. I have learned to live with it. When I can't I will go." Ganguly followed it up by saying he will be quitting the game.

Ganguly has also been one of the most successful one-day batsmen of all time, amassing 11,363 runs at an average of 41.02 in 311 matches.

The former India captain, who took over from Mohammad Azharuddin following the match-fixing scandal in 2000, helped India reach the World Cup final in 2003.

0 comments:

Your Ad Here